Holmes Report Blog

The Holmes Report blog focuses on news and issues of interest to public relations professionals. Our main site can be found at www.holmesreport.com.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Unjust Rewards: Last year, Home Depot gave Robert Nardelli $30 million in pay and stock option for serving as its chairman and chief executive. This year, the company will pay him $210 million for doing nothing… unless you count his decision to step down as a major contribution to the company’s fortunes, which shareholders apparently do: Home Depot stock was up 2.3 percent yesterday following news of his departure.

It is obvious that executive pay in America is distorted, grotesque and out of control. This is only the latest, and probably not the most extreme, example. Nardelli will receive almost twice as much for leaving the company as he received over the course of his six year tenure ($125 million) during which Home Depot’s share price went from $40.75 to $40.16. And that’s to say nothing about the company’s reputation: once a leader in employee engagement, social and environmental responsibility, the company is now just another big box retailer.

The outrage over Nardelli’s rewards is likely to add fuel to incoming House Financial Service Committee chair Barney Frank’s interest in investigating executive compensation, but it’s hard to envisage a cure that is not worse than the disease. The only solution likely to work involves boards acting responsibly of their own volition.

It would be nice to believe that those who have contributed to this sorry state of affairs would feel a little discomfort, but how do you embarrass people who have no shame?

24 Comments:

  • At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We all know that the home depot is the place for home improvement needs such as products and services. So I search for information about this company, I found it on your blog. It is very useful for my resource. I have also found in a social network, very intrigue information about the company even me I'm wondered Why? Check it here - Home Depot

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous webpromo said…

    Wow... Thanks.. I'm at the first time on your blog! And I like it! Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good wor

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Anonymous dissertations said…

    I totally agree with this article.

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Anonymous web promo said…

    Nice post! Can’t wait for the next one. Keep stuff like this coming.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous getessay.com said…

    Danke für die Info

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous buy essay said…

    Danke. sehr interessant

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous order paper said…

    Merci pour l'info

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Anonymous maldives honeymoon packages said…

    The information was really awaited for me since inception of google plus. Today I will set the button on my business website

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Anonymous http://buyresearchpaper.org/ said…

    interesting thoughts

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous custom essay said…

    That article is so interesting and makes a very nice image in my mind. Thank you for sharing this info with us!

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous do my assignment said…

    Great post, I enjoyed ready reading it, Keep posting good stuff like this.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous research paper for sale said…

    This Post gives me lot of information Great to read

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Anonymous viewster said…

    Thanks i like your blog very much , i come back most days to find new posts like this.

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Anonymous dissertationtoday.com review said…

    what a great post! i really like it and wanted to say thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous research paper for sale said…

    Blogs are so interactive where we get lots of informative on any topics...... nice job keep it up !!

     
  • At 2:36 AM, Anonymous write my essay said…

    Thank you for information you been putting on making your site such an interesting .I gave something for my information. I'll be visiting your site again.Thank you very much

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous getessay said…

    Thanks for info

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous getessay said…

    Interesting post. Thanks.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous writingbee said…

    Cool thing! thanks for sharing. I have never heard about ********!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous writingbee said…

    thanks a lot for the post! very interesting!

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous writingbee said…

    Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task. Thanks for share it keep it up.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger DEWHURST TOULSON said…

    This is only the latest, and probably not the most extreme,
    thesis topics

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Anonymous buy dissertation paper said…

    Be real satisfying you for giving out this information with us! I approximating that essence I will some of those when I catch there. Say appreciation you for allotment these particulars among us!

     
  • At 3:48 AM, Anonymous Dissertation proposal said…

    I wished to thanks in your time for this glorious read. I undoubtedly having fun with every little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.Thanks for sharing!!
    dissertation proposal

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home